The Letter Writing Revolution

Revitalizing a Lost Art One Letter at a Time



Monday, January 10, 2011

Universal Letter Writing Week

I must confess that I haven't lived up to The Letter Writing Revolution creator status these last few weeks. Aside from sending out Christmas cards in early December, I have sent next to nothing to anyone. I have received a few letters but I haven't replied. It has been a busy few weeks with the holidays and then the unexpected death of my grandmother on New Year's Day. The week prior to her passing, we cared for her at home where she spent many happy occasions and where we shared many amazing meals. My mother set up a makeshift bedroom in the sun room overlooking her snow covered garden and Grandma was lovingly cared for with dignity and respect until she took her final breath just before 10:30pm January 1st 2011. I had the privilege of sitting with her, holding her hands, touching her hair, kissing her cheek, assisting in her personal care and being present when she moved beyond this time and place. Following her death, a wake and funeral was held and then the tough days of grieving began. This week feels less difficult and heavy and so here I am catching up with all of you. Coincidentally, it is Universal Letter Writing Week (January 8th-14th).


Tomorrow I plan to celebrate this week by, you guessed it, writing some much deserved letters. To those of you who wrote to me in the last few weeks, please accept my apologies for my lack of correspondence and trust that before you know it, a letter will arrive to you from me. For everyone else, celebrate this week by writing even one letter to someone who will appreciate your words on paper. For other ideas on how you can celebrate Universal Letter Writing Week, visit here.

Stayed tuned. I have much to write about after my brief sabbatical.

3 comments:

  1. If I had your address I would send you a handwritten condolence card. I am sorry for your loss. It is a great loss.

    My grands passed some years ago, but sometimes it feels as if it were yester-month. I write about them a lot.

    About five hours ago a call came, telling me our youngest sister is dying. And we should come to her bedside. She has sarcoidosis and renal failure. I'm trying hard not to mourn prematurely. She's strong and has such an amazing determination to live.

    I hope your grief will ease as it should, in its own time, and in its own way. I hope your memories will bring you the best lasting comfort possible.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back on, Julie.
    And to Limner- my thoughts are with you as you face this tough time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie! I recently discovered this genius blog of yours. I love to write letters! It's such a lost art. My friend just found a review of a book online via Good Reads and I wanted to share it with you.

    It's called 365 Thank Yous: The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life
    by John Kralik

    and the URL is: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9543092-365-thank-yous?utm_content=memoir__autobiography_pos2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=1_newreleases

    ReplyDelete

I need to know that this revolution is growing and impacting the masses. Your comments motivate me! Please take the time to let me know how TLWR is working for you.